DEREK OWENS CURRICULUM
Using a worktext and online tutorial videos developed by Derek Owens, this course will cover the topics typically included in high school geometry. Geometry is normally taken by students in grades nine or ten, after Algebra 1. Students should have completed Algebra 1 before enrolling in Geometry. Please feel free to contact the instructor to discuss options in taking these three required high school classes.
Each week the instructor will spend time pre-teaching material for the week, reviewing homework assignments, and troubleshooting areas of difficulty. Students will have access to online video tutorials to round out in-class instruction.
Students will need two texts for this course:
- Geometry: Seeing, Doing, Understanding by Harold R. Jacobs, 3rd Edition, published by W. H. Freeman, 2003.
- Geometry Student Workbooks developed by Derek Owens.
- For more information on the class and the curriculum, includng ISBNs for the Jacobs book, please visit https://www.derekowens.com/.
$90/month (8 payments - September-April; classes run late August through early May); textbook and technology costs as listed
- Registration Fee
$50 for the school year (non-refundable, due at registration) - covers copy costs, lab supplies, etc.
- Administrative Fee
$150/semester ($300/year) will be assessed each student to cover VPE rent, utilities, internet, licenses, insurance and many other costs. This is a per student fee, not a per class fee.
- Grades: 9-11
- Prerequisite: successful completion of Algebra 1
- Technology Requirements: Students will need to supply an inexpensive scientific calculator of their choice. Students will also need a computer and printer at home to access instructional material and video tutorials.